I have a confession. One of my favourite evening activities is going for walks around our local neighbourhood purely with the intention of checking out nearby homes – and there is always one that stands out, simply because it has an amazing front door. Painted cherry red, with black surrounds it is the bold entrance to this particular home that gives the whole property character and personality. It gets me thinking, first impressions count and the entrance to your home, including the front door can say as much about your style and personality as anything within your home. Whether you have a simple timber front door with a couple of topiary plants, a large festive wreath or your front door painted a bright, welcoming colour – what sort of first impression is your home giving?
I absolutely love putting up our Christmas Wreath each year as it makes our entry more festive, happy & welcoming – all the emotions I hope our guests will feel upon entering our home. Right now, behind the wreath is a
boring cream & green-grey front door, so in the next few days when our wreath comes down I’m going to be thinking hard about how we can jazz that up, with a fresh coat of paint or something more to make the space a little more inviting. Here’s a few ideas that have been inspiring me over the past few days…
1. Enhancing intricate details – If you’ve got it, flaunt it! The turquoise on this door is absolutely stunning, but what it’s really doing is letting the gorgeous lattice-work stand out. Can you image if it was all painted cream? Still pretty but nowhere near as dramatic!
2. Go with double doors – If you’ve got the space, use it! I seriously love the grand appearance that double-doors create & while we don’t have space in our current home it’s one item on the wish list for one day when we do move.
3. Oversized – Alternatively to double doors, one oversized pivot door will add serious wow factor to any modern home.
4. Go with colour – It should be no surprise that I chose a soft-blue here! Warm, welcoming and not soft colours can add beautiful depth & character to your home while just giving the slightest hint to what is on the other side – and I really want to know what is on the other side.
5. Glass – While not being for everyone, especially if your home looks out to the street, glass front doors can make a beautiful statement to you home. I personally think they are best suited to a courtyard entrance which enjoys a lot of privacy. Although generally their main advantage (to me) is the amount of light that is let into the home by utilising all that glass instead of a solid wall.
6. Adding Plants – And finally, possibly one of the easiest and potentially the most cost effective ways to spice up your front entry is to add some lush greenery. Even one plant sitting next to your entry will create a fresh and sculptural ambience.